|Revised||September 6, 2017|
- Access to Campus Facilities
- Blue Ridge Community College campus facilities are open to faculty, staff, students, and visitors during normal operating hours. Security of College facilities is a shared responsibility of all access device key holders and building occupants.
- Access during closed hours will be governed by prior arrangements with the General Administration Division for community groups and with the appropriate supervisor for employees.
- All persons, while on the premises, are expected and required to obey all federal, state, and local laws and ordinances, as well as College procedures governing appropriate conduct.
- Persons in violation of the above will be subject to any action deemed appropriate by competent authority.
- Distribution of Keys
- Keys will be distributed by Facilities Services Key Master.
- All locks and access devices are the property of the College. Any keys or access device issued to faculty, students, employees, visitors or contractors remain the property of the College.
- Unauthorized duplication of keys for any College facility is prohibited. Unauthorized access or tampering with the security network is also prohibited.
- Persons obtaining unauthorized keys or tampering with electronic access control are subject to disciplinary action.
- The holder of a key to any College facility assumes responsibility for the safekeeping of the key and its use. Keys should not be given to another person for any reason.
- Financial responsibility for keys, re-keying, and loss of keys is the responsibility of the person responsible for the key when it is lost or stolen.
- The loss of keys shall be immediately reported via the Lost Key/ID Form located on the College’s intranet.
- Prior to leaving employment at the college, all key holders must return the keys and/or access devices in their possession to their supervisor or the Director of Human Resources who will return the key to the Key Master to be logged in as returned. If not returned, the College will pursue available remedies to recover the keys.
- Adjunct Instructors not teaching in a following semester or term shall return all keys and/or access devices in their position to their supervisor or the Director of Human Resources. Keys will then be returned to the Key Master and logged in as returned.
- Identification Cards
- As a public institution, Blue Ridge Community College recognizes that its buildings, facilities and property should be readily accessible. However, to promote security and help with the identification of individuals in certain areas on our campus, identification (ID) cards are issued to all full-time and part-time employees, curriculum students, and continuing education students enrolled in designated programs.
- All Blue Ridge Community College employees and students who are issued ID cards (see C. 1. above) are required to carry their campus-issued ID cards with them at all times in College owned or leased buildings or facilities, on College owned or leased property and while conducting official College business. Individuals may be asked to present their ID card for various College purposes such as accessing buildings, prior to using computer resources or to attend certain events. If an individual is unable to present a Blue Ridge Community College ID card as requested, the individual may be denied access to the applicable College facilities, resources, benefits, and events for which the identification card was requested.
- All Blue Ridge Community College employees are required to wear an ID card during work hours while on the College grounds unless it is deemed to be unsafe to wear it due to working conditions at the time.
- Blue Ridge Community College contractors or other designated visitors may be required to wear ID cards or suitable company identification while working at the College for extended periods unless deemed to be unsafe to wear it due to working conditions at the time.
- ID cards worn by employees shall be clearly visible to others. They shall be affixed to one’s upper chest or worn on a lanyard. The wearing of ID cards off-campus when on official business is optional.
- ID cards will be issued by the College and any loss or damage should be reported immediately via the Lost Key/ID Form located on the College’s intranet. The College may assess a $10 replacement fee in certain cases.
- ID cards will contain the employee’s name, title, division, and a photograph of the employee.
- A new ID card will be issued when there is a change in an employee’s name, title or division.
- The employee assumes responsibility for the safekeeping of the ID card and its use. ID cards should not be given to another person for any reason.
- Prior to leaving employment at the college, an employee must return the ID card to their supervisor or the Director of Human Resources