|Revised||July 9, 2018|
|Reviewed||October 25, 2020|
The College shall designate and observe certain days each year as holidays. All eligible employees will be given a day off with pay for each holiday as stated herein.
- The President shall cause to be published the schedule of holidays to be observed before July 1st each year for the next academic year. A holiday that occurs on a Saturday or Sunday generally will be observed by the College on either the preceding Friday or following Monday. The holiday schedule shall not exceed twelve (12) paid holidays per academic year.
- An eligible employee is a full-time employee who:
- Is in pay status through the day on which the holiday is scheduled; or
- On a leave of absence without pay but was in pay status for half or more of the workdays in the month.
- The College recognizes that some eligible employees may wish to observe, as periods of worship or commemoration, certain days that are not included in the College’s regular holiday schedule. In such cases, eligible employees may take other earned leave for those reasons if it does not unduly disrupt the College’s business and is approved by the employee’s immediate supervisor.
- The College retains the right to schedule work on a holiday for some or all eligible employees should it become necessary and critical to the College’s operation. In such cases, the employee will be given the time-off at another time on a hour-for-hour basis unless the Fair Labor and Standards Act stipulates otherwise. For purposes of this Policy, a holiday is a total of eight (8) hours.
- In the event the College must establish an alternative operational schedule, an alternative holiday schedule may be developed in keeping with the College’s operational needs provided that all employees are given the same number of holidays and the holidays do not exceed twelve (12) days. The alternative holiday schedule must be approved by the President prior to any observed holidays.
- When a holiday falls during a week in which an employee is taking FMLA leave for the entire week, the entire week is counted toward the employee’s FMLA entitlement. However, if the employee is also using accrued paid leave during FMLA leave, the employee will not be charged accrued leave on the holiday. If the College closes for an extended holiday lasting a week or more while an employee is taking FMLA leave, the extended holiday does not count against the employee’s FMLA leave entitlement. For more information on FMLA see the Family and Medical Leave Procedure.
- Subject to the administrative needs for plant maintenance and general operation of the College, the following twelve (12) days shall be the approved holidays at Blue Ridge Community College:
- New Year’s Day (January 1 or a Friday or Monday when the day occurs on a weekend)
- Martin Luther King Jr. Birthday (third Monday in January)
- Easter Holiday (Good Friday)
- Memorial Day (last Monday in May)
- Independence Day (July 4 or a Friday or Monday, when the day occurs on a weekend)
- Labor Day (first Monday in September)
- Veterans Day (November 11 or a Friday or Monday when the day occurs on a weekend)
- Thanksgiving Day (two days - Thanksgiving Day and Friday following)
- Christmas Holiday (three days - Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and the day following Christmas)