|Revised||December 4, 2013|
- If an employee reaches retirement age during the contract year, the contract will remain in force through the expiration date, if the employee so desires.
- If an employee wishes to resign or retire from the College, he/she should, no later than 30 days prior to the date of separation, give written notice of his/her intentions to the appropriate supervisor.
- The appropriate supervisor shall provide the President, respective Vice President and the Director of Human Resources with a copy of the employee’s letter of resignation or retirement. The supervisor will notify the respective Vice President and the Director of Human Resources of the employee’s decision to resign or retire, if a formal letter or advanced notice was not provided.
- The supervisor will notify the Director of Human Resources and the IT Director if there are security concerns. Immediately, upon receipt of notification, the Human Resources Director will alert campus security and the IT Department will remove access to Blue Ridge Community College Net Accounts.
- The Director of Human Resources, or designee, will initiate the Employee Termination Process in SharePoint no later than twenty-four hours after notification from the supervisor of an employee’s intent to resign or retire.
- In the case of a non-renewal, the employee is notified with a letter from the President via certified mail prior to the end of his/her contract (ref. Sec. 3.3.3 Non-Renewal of Annual Contracts for Full-time Employees).A copy of the non-renewal letter is to be provided to Human Resources which will prompt that department to initiate the Employee Termination Process in SharePoint.
- In the case of a termination through a Reduction in Force (ref. Sec. 3.13.1 Reduction in Force and Involuntary Leave (Furlough), the employee will be notified by the President, or designee prior to the date of separation and further advised to schedule an exit interview with the Director of Human Resources. A copy of the Reduction in Force notice is to be provided to Human Resources which will prompt that department to initiate the Employee Termination Process in SharePoint.
- Once the Employee Termination Process in SharePoint commences, each of the departments involved are responsible for following the Process as outlined in the Employee Termination Flowchart and Checklist.
- For internal control, the IT Department shall remove access to Blue Ridge Community College technology accounts within twenty-four hours of employee’s termination in accordance with procedures 8.1.2 Assigned User Accounts.
- If the College determines that an employee requires access to resources after the departure date, a separate Technology Service Request specifying the access to be granted to the person must be submitted for approval by the President.
- If an employee desires access to e-mail communication after their retirement date, the employee shall provide the College with his/her preferred personal e-mail address. IT staff will then populate the “Retirees” e-mail distribution list with the personal e-mail address.
- The supervisor will be responsible for collecting any College property and returning it to the Business Office. The IT Department will be responsible for collecting all assigned and loaned IT equipment.