|Revised||March 10, 2010|
- Telephone Usage: Blue Ridge Community College telephones, voice-mail, fax machines, and similar equipment are intended for educational or business purposes only. Personal calls should be kept to a minimum. Blue Ridge Community College telephones provide direct local access between the Henderson County Campus and the Transylvania County Campus. Charges incurred for personal long distance calls, either placed directly from a Blue Ridge Community College telephone or charged to a Blue Ridge Community College calling card, are the responsibility of the caller.
- Personal Communication Devices: The College may provide personal communications devices (cell phones, pagers, etc.) for the sole purpose of performing essential job duties. The President or his/her designee shall identify positions that require such devices. At no time shall such devices be used by anyone other than a Blue Ridge Community College employee. Those who are issued devices are responsible for their safekeeping and may be charged for the cost to replace them if lost or stolen.
- Adding or Moving Telephones: All requests for new telephone lines or the relocation of desk set units for staff and faculty must be approved by the appropriate College Vice President before a new line is added or the current desk set is relocated. Requests are submitted to the IT Department using an Information Systems Access Request form.
- Voice-mail Accounts: Employee voice-mail accounts and passwords are assigned by the IT Department. Voice-mail messages can be accessed by an employee from a remote location. Guidelines for the use of voice-mail are available in the Handbook. Voice-mail greetings should be brief and shall not contain any language which would reflect unfavorably upon on the College. Employees should update voice-mail greetings when they will be unavailable to reply to calls for an extended period.
- Faxing: Blue Ridge Community College facsimile transmission (fax) machines are intended for educational or business purposes only. Fax machines are maintained by the IT Division.
- Telephone Service for the Hearing Impaired: A telecommunication system for the hearing impaired will be maintained by the College at designated locations.
- Blue Ridge Community College telephones shall not be used to send unwanted, threatening, abusive, harassing, obscene, or pornographic messages. These actions may also be considered workplace harassment (Ref. P&P Sec. 3.15.1).