|Revised||October 1, 2002|
- Pursuant to G.S. 20-11(n1), Blue Ridge Community College will be required to notify the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles whenever a student under the age of 18 is expelled or suspended for more than ten (10) consecutive days for one of the following reasons:
- The possession or sale of an alcoholic beverage or an illegal controlled substance on school property.
- The possession or use on school property of a weapon or firearm that resulted in disciplinary action.
- The physical assault on a teacher or other school personnel on school property.
- A driving eligibility certificate shall be issued by the President or the President’s designee, if it can be demonstrated that the student has no other possible means of transportation to and from school, a drug or alcohol treatment counseling program, as appropriate, or a mental health treatment program. Students with access to a school bus, carpooling, having a parent or other relative drive or using other modes of transportation shall be denied.
- A student is eligible for a certificate after a six (6) month period for displaying exemplary student behavior. The President or the President’s designee shall issue a Driving Eligibility Certificate to the student under the following conditions:
- The student has returned to school or has been placed in an alternative educational setting and has displayed exemplary student behavior.
- The student has successfully completed a drug or alcohol treatment-counseling program for a drug-related suspension and has demonstrated exemplary behavior.