|Revised||March 4, 2015|
- The following classifications are established for Blue Ridge Community College Employees:
- A full-time permanent employee is employed for a minimum of nine (9) months per year and works a minimum of 30 hours per week with a reasonable expectation of recurring employment. He/she is eligible for all standard fringe benefits including State Retirement, State Health Plan, supplemental benefits plan, and supplemental retirement plan. Faculty employees who work at least nine months per year are considered full-time employees. Full-time permanent employees who work less than a 40-hour workweek will have pro-rated vacation and sick leave benefits. (See also Sec. 3.3.1 Employee Contracts – Full-time Employees)
- A permanent part-time employee works less than 30 hours per week or less than nine (9) months per year with a reasonable expectation of recurring employment. Permanent part-time employee is paid by the week, month, or course, and is not eligible for standard fringe benefits with the exception of employees who are employed 20-29 hours per week, are eligible to earn total state service credit. They do not receive retirement credit or health benefits; however, they may belong to the group health plan by paying the employee and employer portion of the premiums.
- A full-time temporary employee is employed for less than a twelve (12) month period and works a minimum of 30 hours per week with no expectation of recurring employment. With the exception of *(ACA) health insurance (and only if employed for more than three (3) months), full-time temporary employees do not accrue benefits.
- A part-time temporary employee is employed for less than a twelve (12) month period and work time averages less than 30 hours per week or 130 hours per month with no expectation of recurring employment. With the exception of *(ACA) health insurance, part-time temporary employees do not accrue benefits. (see Procedure 3.7.14 State Health Plan Eligibility Guidelines for ACA health insurance eligibility)
- Exempt and Non-exempt Employees are defined as follows:
- An exempt employee is an executive, administrative, or professional worker who meets certain prescribed conditions set forth in the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938, as amended. Generally, these employees are engaged in executive, administrative, managerial, and instructional faculty work.
- A non-exempt employee is covered under the minimum wage and overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Generally, these are employees engaged in technical, paraprofessional, secretarial, clerical and skilled craft work.
- Neither titles nor positions may be used in determining an employee’s exemption status. An employee’s exemption status is based on assigned duties, responsibilities, and in some instances, rate of pay.
- Questions concerning exempt and non-exempt status are to be referred to the Director of Human Resources. Refer also to Section 3.8.1 (Salary Plan) regarding employee position categories.