October 6, 2010
- Personnel files for Blue Ridge Community College employees shall be maintained by the Human Resources Director.
- Some documents contained in an employee’s personnel file are public record and could be subject to public inspection (See Procedure 2.26.1 Release of Public Information).
- No files may be removed from the custody of the Human Resources Director except by the following persons:
- The President either for his/her review or on behalf of the Board of Trustees in conjunction with formal personnel actions
- A party by authority of court of proper jurisdiction
- Members of the General Assembly by authority of G.S. 120-19
- The contents of an employee file must include at a minimum:
- Application for employment;
- Official transcript of all postsecondary course work for all curriculum faculty members;
- Annual employee evaluations for full-time employees; and
- Additions, approved by the immediate supervisor or the Human Resources Director.
- The date and amount of each increase and decrease in salary.
- The date and type of each promotion, demotion, transfer, suspension, separation or change in position.
- The date and description of the reasons for each promotion and the date and type of any dismissal, suspension or demotion for disciplinary reasons and include a copy of the written notice of the final decision of the Board (if the Board has been required to take action due to an appeal) setting forth the specific acts or omissions that are the basis for dismissal.
- Vice Presidents may review files of those employed in their respective areas in their entirety, however review of entire personnel files of individuals employed in other areas requires the written permission of that employee.
- An employee may review his/her own file. The employee may not remove any contents from the personnel file, but may request a copy of any or all materials in his/her file.