|Approved||January 29, 2008|
- This policy is designed to enable Blue Ridge Community College to accept citizen volunteers, reduce volunteer risk, and protect the interests of the College, and the community it serves.
- Definition: Citizen Volunteers are uncompensated individuals who perform services directly related to the business of the College for their benefit, to support the humanitarian, charitable or public service activities of the College, or to gain experience in specific endeavors.
- Citizen Volunteers are expected to abide by the College policies and procedures and applicable regulations that govern their actions, including but not limited to those relating to ethical behavior, safety, computer use, security, confidentiality, and drug and alcohol use.
- College v olunteers are not covered by the Fair Labor Standard Act and are not considered employees for any purpose. Therefore, they are not eligible for compensation or college benefits.
- Any division wishing to engage the services of a volunteer should prepare a brief description of the duties and services to be performed by the volunteer and the duration of the work. Published requests for volunteers must be approved in advance by the President.
- When selecting a volunteer, it is the division’s responsibility to be certain the individual has adequate experience, qualifications, and training for the task he or she will perform.
- Any individual agreeing to volunteer at Blue Ridge Community College must complete a Volunteer Agreement and Waiver of Liability Form. This requirement is waived for individuals volunteering for “one-time” activities such as holiday events, graduation exercises, fundraising, etc. The completed Volunteer Agreement and Waiver of Liability Form should be forwarded to the Human Resources Director along with a description of the duties and services to be performed by that volunteer.
- Advisory council members, trustees, and other board members are not required to complete a Volunteer Agreement Form.
- A volunteer’s service may be terminated at any time and without prior notice.